By Ruth Vaughan, Msc. Applied Science
Our business is offering fast and reliable laboratory analyses. Our partners in the Netherlands are continuously working on improvements to pesticide screening. This week they have extended and improved their screening analysis package for determination of pesticide residues for leaf and (ornamental) crop samples.
What are the improvements?
- The GC-MS method will be replaced for the even better GC-MSMS method
- The list of components has been expanded with an extra 50 components
- The detection limit is reduced for almost all components to 0.01 mg / kg
- The number of accredited components has been expanded:-
- LC-MSMS from 38 to 145 accredited components out of a total of 466 – detection limit 0.01 mg/kg
- GC-MSMS from 15 to 215 accredited components out of a total of 409 – detection limit 0.01 mg/kg
- Total components tested in a standard pesticide residue analysis – 875 with a detection limit of 0.01 mg/kg! (Very extensive and highly accredited!)
Leaf and crop samples will be analysed by this improved method from this week. The renewed analysis lists for the screening of residues on leaf and crop samples is available on https://agrocontrol.nl/en/analysis-lists-pesticide.
In addition, through our partners, we can offer screening for the following extra molecules:-
Sulphites (LOD 5 mg/kg), Total Inorganic Bromide (LOD 5 mg/kg), Nitrates (70 mg/kg), Fosetyl aluminium (0.01 mg/kg) & phosphonic acid (0.1 mg/kg), Perchlorate & chlorate (0.01 mg/kg), QAC’s (0.01 mg/kg), Dithiocarbamates (0.05 mg/kg), Thiourea (0.01 mg/kg), Guazatine (0.01 mg/kg), Amines, morpholine (0.1 mg/kg) & diethanolamine (0.3 mg/kg)
Heavy metals for food safety
Arsenic, chromium, copper, lead, nickel, tin, zinc (0.05 mg/kg), cadmium and mercury (0.01 mg/kg)
Herbicides and Plant Growth Regulators
Diquat & Paraquat (0.01 mg/kg), Glyphosate, Glufosinate (0.01 mg/kg) & AMPA (0.05 mg/kg), Chlormequat (CCC) & Mepiquat (0.01 mg/kg), Gibberellic acid (0.01 mg/kg), Ethephon (0.01 mg/kg), Amitrole (0.05 mg/kg), Maleic hydrazide (0.05 mg/kg), 6-benzyladenine (0.01 mg/kg)
Ruth Vaughan is the Technical Director at Crop Nutrition Laboratory Services Ltd. (CROPNUTS). Ruth is also a contributing author to Kenya’s leading horticulture magazines such as the HortFresh Journal, HortiNews and Floriculture. Ruth is a great believer in soil health, organic matter, biochar and carbon sequestration as a way to alleviate climate change and increase food security. Loves visiting farmers and seeing all the different farming methods